The Mystery of the Haunted Vampire

We've moved! Please check out www.hauntedvampire.com, the new home for our 'Tales of supernatural horrors!'

Tuesday, October 04, 2005

Scary living for India's ghost man

From Agence France-Presse:

Mothers use his name to scare their children while even adults hope they don't bump into him in the dark -- for more than 40 years Gopal Haldar has been making his living in India's Sunderbans mangrove region as a ghost. snip Because of his poor health and stick-like physique, he added, neighbours had said he was "born to play a ghost". He took to the idea and his reputation began to spread through the myriad islands that make up the Sunderbans. "Wherever I go children call me 'Uncle Ghost' and peep at me through windows," a smiling Haldar said. "Women and children are even scared of going out at night in case they meet me." (I get the same reaction: Carnacki.) snip He mainly does his shows during the festive seasons and earns 40 to 50 rupees (about a dollar) a time, said his wife Malati, adding resignedly, "But he is addicted to smoking hemp and spends all his money on this habit." Lighting up a hemp cigarette in front of his wife, Haldar acknowledged his love of the herb. "(But) when I indulge myself in smoking hemp and playing chess, I wonder if I am a real ghost or a human being," he said philosophically.
Hat tip to dirtroad for emailing me the link.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home